design number 37

Just another KCAI Blogs weblog

sinning in broad daylight

tshell @ February 27, 2009

The Seven Deadly Sins photo project (still in progress) is a reminder of my first semester in the photo department at KCAI. I explored alter egos, all the while worshiping the work of contemporary artists, such as Cindy Sherman and Nan Golden.

(This is my second semester in the lair of the graphic design department and photography is thus far a significant part of the curriculum as clear image communication is essential to successful design).

walking with my girl: the goal of this project is to communicate each of the seven deadly sins with one image per sin. To ensure unification of the set, I created a rule set for the photos: me, this mannequin, a costume change (except the one time I forgot), sometimes random people and sometimes random mannequins.

(clockwise: from the top left): gluttony, pride, wrath and sloth

my process for attempting to communicate the animal instinct of lust included raw meat; I have been looking at work by David Lachapelle, lately. (Sometimes you can risk your life for a photo and end up with nothing.) I have chosen the one on the left. (above)

The rush of energy that floods my body before, during and after taking a photo is ridiculous. Although shyness and awkwardness are my vices in real life, when I have a photo in mind, my inner ruthlessness takes over.